Thursday, February 16, 2012

Learning To Be Content

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." - Philippians 4:11


Are you content with things in your life?  We learn from the above verse that it is not natural for our flesh to be content.  Paul tells us that he had learned to be content in whatever state that he was in.  If you and I are to learn to be content, it is going to take prayer, denying ourselves, and surrendering to Christ.

Have you ever noticed that you do not have to teach your children to complain?  We are quick learners when it comes to the art of complaining, even without any education.  If you and I are to learn to be content, it is something that we must cultivate and grow in our lives.  You would not be able to plant a garden without plowing it, then sowing the seed, and cultivating that garden.  Contentment is not going to grow in you and I by nature, it is something that will only be produced by allowing Christ to grow it in us.  There is something else interesting about Paul's statement in this verse.  It cost Paul some pain and suffering to learn how to be content. If you and I are going to learn to be content, it is going to cost us something.

Here is what Spurgeon said about this verse:

"We might well be willing to endure Paul’s infirmities, and share the cold dungeon with him, if we too might by any means attain unto his good degree. Do not indulge the notion that you can be contented with learning, or learn without discipline. It is not a power that may be exercised naturally, but a science to be acquired gradually."

How are you doing with learning to be content?

Prayer For Today:

Heavenly Father, help me to learn how to be content, no matter my circumstances.  Help me to surrender my complaining and allow You to cultivate a spirit of contentment in my life.  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment