Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Given To Prayer

"They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause.  For my love they are my adversaries: but I will give myself unto prayer." - Psalm 109:3-4


What is your first instinct or what is the first thing that you do when opposition comes?  If we all are honest, we would have to say that we probably would take some sort of action in our own strength to deal with the situation.  I know that is one of my biggest faults, I try to handle things in my own power and wisdom.

Notice what David said that he did when opposition came his way.  He said that he would give himself unto prayer.  When people speak words of hatred to him, when they fight against him without a cause, when they go against him in spite of his love for them, David says that he will give himself unto prayer.  When opposition comes our way, our flesh says that we need to respond, that we need to take action against it.  However, you will find that Scripture tells us something completely different.  When we face opposition, when people come against us without a cause, or when they reward our love by becoming our adversaries, the Bible tells us that we are to give ourselves unto prayer.

I must admit that I am a complete and utter failure when it comes to doing this.  When I face the things that David is talking about, usually the last thing on my mind is giving myself unto prayer.  I know that giving myself unto prayer is what I should do and it is what I must do, but for some reason I do not.  If we all are honest, we all are guilty of this.  I can't help but wonder what a difference we would see in our churches and our own lives if we all would give ourselves unto prayer when we face opposition.  Satan has tricked us into thinking that we must do something to retaliate or that we must respond to the situation in some way.  The only way that you and I should respond is by totally and completely giving ourselves unto prayer.

When you and I get on our knees before God, desperately cry out to Him, and utterly depend on Him, that is when He can work in our lives and the lives of others.

Will you give yourself unto prayer?

Prayer For Today:

Heavenly Father, when people speak words of hatred against me, when they fight against me without a cause, and when they become my adversary in spite of my love for them, may I completely and totally give myself unto prayer.  Help me not to handle things or situations in my own power or wisdom, but rather I confess my utter and complete dependence on You and Your power to work in those situations.  In Jesus name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment